BURKE COUNTY, N.C. - A rock climber died Sunday after falling more than 80 feet from Shortoff Mountain in Burke County, officials said.
Burke County Emergency Services Director Mike Willis said rescue crews were able to reach the victim by rappelling down the mountain about 90 minutes after the call for aid was made. Other climbers were performing CPR on the victim.
The victim, 31-year-old Austin Howell, of Chicago, was pronounced dead at 1:30 p.m.
Authorities said Howell was free climbing in one of the most challenging portions of the Linville Gorge.
The U.S. Forest Service is investigating the incident.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Driver says uneven lanes on I-77 caused scary camper crash
- Sheriff's Office makes plea for civility following mugshot wisecracks
- Firefighters reunite family with beloved dog after northeast Charlotte house fire
- FORECAST: Charlotte region prepares for week of humidity, afternoon shower chances
- ESPN: Kemba Walker heading to Boston
© 2019 Cox Media Group.