CHARLOTTE, N.C. - It's estimated that 9 million children in the U.S. have some sort of mental health issue.
Channel 9 learned that an overwhelming majority of children never see a psychiatrist or psychologist, they only see their pediatrician.
As we continue our effort to shine a light on mental health issues, we have looked into how including a mental health check in a visit to a pediatrician can make a significant difference.
Watch the video above to hear how one mother told Channel 9 her daughter's life changed after she was diagnosed with anxiety.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Sheriff: Store wouldn't let deputy wearing gun pick up engagement ring
- 'I have to sit here and bury my son': 16-year-old killed after shots fired into home
- Thief caught on camera stealing tip jar from Gastonia restaurant
- FORECAST: Not much rain expected before storms usher in weekend
- Teen accused of killing college baseball player in 2017 again rejects plea deal
© 2019 Cox Media Group.