UNION COUNTY, N.C. - A body was recovered from floodwaters Monday morning in Union County.
The Union County Sheriff's Office told Channel 9 the body of Clayborn Lee Wright was found next to his car. Officials said the car was mostly covered in water.
Deputies said they believe his car was swept away during the storm.
Deputies said someone saw his body and his car partly covered in high water. That person called 911.
“It appears he went off the road,” Union County Sheriff Eddie Cathey said. “We're not sure what time. The window was down on his car. He may have tried to get out of that car and it appears he may have drowned”
Cathey said residents in Union County's shouldn't have been driving Sunday night..
“We had a curfew last night,” Cathey said. “Everybody was supposed to be in by 7 o’clock.”
Nancy Massey said she didn't leave her house Sunday because she didn't think it was safe.
“This was a caution that everybody took,” Massey said. “If he had to be out there, should have been somebody with him.”
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Search to resume for missing 1-year-old swept away by flood waters
- FLORENCE AFTERMATH: Swollen rivers near record levels as Florence looms
- 'He was a fighter in the beginning': 3-month-old killed when tree falls on Gaston Co. home
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Monday forecast outlook
- CMPD investigating after mother, 3-year-old injured in east Charlotte shooting
© 2019 Cox Media Group.