CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Officials said one person was killed in a crash along Freedom Drive in west Charlotte Thursday morning.
The crash happened just before 9 a.m. along Freedom Drive and involved three vehicles.
Authorities said three other people suffered varying injuries in the crash near Lundy Lane.
One person was pronounced dead at the scene.
Witnesses told police the Chevrolet Venture van was speeding on Freedom Drive and crossing into opposite lanes multiple times. They said the van crossed the double yellow line, hitting a Ford Econoline van traveling in the opposite direction head on.
CMPD said a Ford Taurus was unable to avoid the crash and hit the Chevrolet Venture.
The driver of the Venture, Ledane Leigh Poplin, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Officials said speed and impairment are suspected for the driver of the Chevrolet Venture. They added Poplin was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.
Freedom Drive between Little Rock Road and Toddville Road was shut down for the investigation.
No details have been released about what caused the accident.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'I want that to be his legacy': UNCC student who tackled gunman hailed as hero
- Man found shot to death in car outside north Charlotte bank
- Police identify man shot, killed at apartments near UNCC campus
- Two young men lost their lives at UNCC: Here's what we know about them
- FORECAST: Cloudy start before sunny skies return; rain on the way
© 2019 Cox Media Group.