MATTHEWS, N.C. - Channel 9 obtained dozens of documents from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District detailing the response to last year’s fatal shooting at Butler High School in Matthews.
Officials said 16-year-old Jatwan Cuffie shot and killed 16-year-old Bobby McKeithen in a school hallway on Oct. 29, 2018. Cuffie is charged with murder.
The documents released on Thursday include emails between district officials and a lesson plan students received in the days that followed the shooting.
Butler High School shooting coverage:
- CHOPPER IMAGES: Student shot at Butler High School
- RELATED: Slain Butler HS student's father: 'My son lost his life over foolishness'
- Good Samaritan takes school shooting victim's mother to hospital
- Parents march to school to get children after deadly shooting
- Students, parents recall emotional moments following school shooting
- Leaders discuss safety after deadly shooting at Matthews high school
- 'He had a great attitude': Dozens attend vigil for teen shot to death at Butler HS
- Teenager accused of killing classmate at Butler High School to face judge
The lesson plan began with an introduction that said: “Today we are going to talk about the shooting that occurred at our school on Monday morning. I will try to answer questions you might have about what happened, and we will identify ways to deal with common reactions to crises. We will also talk about how we can help ourselves and each other."
The introduction also said: “Everyone is having their own reactions to what happened. I am going to share the facts that we know about what happened, dispel any rumors, and answer questions as well as I am able.”
CMS announced new security measures after the shooting, including randomly wanding students with metal detectors and inspecting bags.
Officials said those new screening methods should be in place by the end of January.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Dirty dishes, roaches among more than a dozen violations reported at popular uptown restaurant
- Pair arrested after squatting in home once owned by Davidson mayor's parents
- 2 teens plead guilty in slaying of Charlotte mother during attempted robbery
- FORECAST: Bitter chill returns ahead of wintry weather threat
- MS-13 gang member one of three accused of having 2 kilos of meth, police say
© 2019 Cox Media Group.