MATTHEWS, N.C. - Moments after the shooting at Butler High School Monday morning, police told parents to gather outside Elevation Church on East Independence Boulevard, which is about 1 mile from the school.
They were told they'd have to wait hours to be reunited because police wanted to keep students inside the school while they were finishing their investigation.
Parents were desperate to get their children, so they walked as a group from the church to Butler.
In the video at the top of this webpage, Eyewitness News reporter Mark Barber was with those families the entire time.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 16-year-old charged with murder in shooting death of classmate at Butler HS
- 'Journey' cassette tape mistaken for suspicious package at Duke Energy building
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Good Samaritan takes school shooting victim's mother to hospital
- Sheriff: North Carolina toddler dies after being attacked by family dog
© 2019 Cox Media Group.