CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Santa Cam is an annual tradition for Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.
For the sixth year, Santa Cam’s surprise sleigh delivered holiday cheer to children and families in need through the Cam Newton Foundation and Chase Bank.
Newton visited the Urban Promise after-school program for one of his stops. He dropped off a $25,000 donation to the organization, along with backpacks and clothing.
At Westerly Hills Elementary, the quarterback handed out $100 gift cards to staff members.
Newton chose the school because it has exceeded growth for the last four years, moving its status from failing to a C school.
Those were just two of Newton’s many stops. In all, the surprise sleigh delivered more than $130,000 in cash and gifts.
The Panthers nominated Newton for the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, which honors players who are making a difference off the field.
The award will be given out on Feb. 1.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: Woman kidnapped at gunpoint at Arboretum shopping center
- Anticipation builds as Charlotte to be named home of 30th MLS franchise
- 9-year-old girl recovering after being attacked by pit bull while riding bike
- FORECAST: Cold front brings heavy rain, thunder, lightning
- Deputies, troopers investigating deadly pedestrian crash in Union County
© 2019 Cox Media Group