CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Michael Jordan just received an early birthday present — on top of gearing up for his NBA team’s role as host of the All-Star Game next weekend. And that gift looks like one that will keep on giving.
On Wednesday, Forbes magazine published its annual valuation of pro basketball teams, pushing Jordan’s Charlotte Hornets to $1.25 billion.
This for a franchise Jordan bought eight years ago for $175 million.
Jordan turns 56 on Feb. 17, the same day the Hornets and Spectrum Center will stage the NBA All-Star Game, capping a weekend of events projected to generate as much as $100 million for local hotels, restaurants and other businesses.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Video shows 4-year-old girl with autism assaulted on Chesterfield Co. bus
- Wells Fargo reports outages to online, mobile banking apps
- ‘His own little coffin of snow': Teen, parents charged in killing of 7-year-old over Bible verses
- FORECAST: Last mild day before winter returns this weekend
- WATCH: Job candidate chases after stolen BMW during phone interview
© 2019 Cox Media Group.