Charlotte Knights owner makes rare appearance at Truist Field’s new pub

CHARLOTTE — Charlotte Knights majority owner Don Beaver is mostly retired and rarely seen around the team’s ballpark these days. But he made an exception recently, arriving at Truist Field one evening to take a look around at his Triple A baseball team’s latest venture: a year-round pub built along the right-field side of the stadium’s exterior on South Mint Street.

Beaver, 83, owns 90% of the Knights. Bill Allen controls the other 10%.

Sipping a beer at the pub’s bar, Beaver grinned and said, “I don’t raise as much hell as I used to.”

He bought the Knights from George Shinn in 1997, when the team was a Miami Marlins affiliate and home games were played across the state line in Fort Mill. In the modern era of minor-league baseball here — beginning in 1976 with the Crockett family and the Double A Charlotte O’s — no one has owned the team longer than Beaver.

His tenure includes a messy, decade-plus bid for a new stadium, finally realized in 2014 with the opening of Truist Field in uptown.

Beaver reflected on that history in a conversation with CBJ.

Read more here.

VIDEO: Charlotte Checkers hold public practice at Truist Field