CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said it has charged a man who sexually assaulted a woman back in 1995.
Nathaney Davis, 43, has been charged with first-degree rape, first-degree sex offense, first-degree kidnapping and robbery with a dangerous weapon.
Police said the 23-year-old victim was walking along Nations Ford Road on June 5, 1995, when she was attacked by two armed men. Officers said the suspects robbed her before one of the men sexually assaulted her.
The victim was taken to the hospital, where a sexual assault kit was completed. It was tested in 1995, but police said additional testing in 2018 confirmed Davis as the suspect.
Officials said the Violent Criminal Apprehension Team located and arrested Davis without incident on Wednesday.
CMPD said a federal grant led to the additional testing on the sexual assault kit and, ultimately, the break in the cold case.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Pair arrested after squatting in home once owned by Davidson mayor's parents
- Beloved LB Thomas Davis says he's done with Panthers after 14 seasons
- MS-13 gang member one of three accused of having 2 kilos of meth, police say
- WATCH: Severe Weather Center 9's Thursday forecast outlook
- CMS investigates after employee accused of sending inappropriate text to teenager
© 2019 Cox Media Group.