CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Charlotte Mecklenburg police said a man is dead after an argument led to a shootout with a security guard at a convenience store on Christmas Eve.
The deadly shooting happened just before 9 p.m. at the 7-Eleven on North Tryon Street near Dalton Avenue.
Officers said when they responded to the scene, they found 63-year-old George Agee Jr., who had been shot multiple times laying on the sidewalk.
He was taken to a hospital, where he later died.
On Jan. 8, 2020, CMPD arrested Marvin Daniel Staton, 54, and charged him with first-degree murder.
Police have not said what led to the argument with the security guard but did say that they are not looking for any other suspects.
Agee was not employed by 7-Eleven, authorities said.
Neighboring business owners told Channel 9 that violence is typical for the area and they want to see changes from the city of Charlotte.
“This area needs to get taken care of especially. The city needs to put some kind of effort over here, more surveillance camera 24-hour monitoring especially this corner,” nearby business owner Ali Shakier said.
This was Charlotte’s 108th homicide of 2019.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Charlotte rapper DaBaby detained, cited after concert at Bojangles Coliseum
- Woman found boyfriend shot to death in northwest Charlotte home, police say
- Employee embezzled $100K from northwest Charlotte Dollar General
- 'We can do this’: Paralyzed trooper, wife open up about life after serious crash
- CMPD: Man cut off electronic monitor weeks before hitting, killing employee in Steele Creek shopping center
© 2019 Cox Media Group