No injuries reported at 2-alarm apartment fire in south Charlotte

CHARLOTTE — A two-alarm fire at a south Charlotte apartment complex Wednesday night was accidental, according to the Charlotte Fire Department.

A crew of more than 50 firefighters took about 40 minutes to control the incident in the 300 block of Sharon Township Lane off Sharon Road near Colony Road, CFD said.

There were no injuries in the fire that started on the fifth floor. CFD said the fire was caused by combustible materials too close to a heating source.

The building was evacuated, and the fire was contained to the fifth floor, the fire department said.

A “tremendous” amount of smoke covered the fifth floor, but CFD said working fire alarms and door closures allowed residents to evacuate.

All the tenants were able to go back to their apartments after firefighters controlled the fire.

CFD said it stayed on the scene until smoke cleared and the alarm system was reset. The damage is estimated at $5,000.

(Watch the video below: Fire causes major damage to vacant factory in Hickory, fire department says)