MOUNTAIN ISLAND LAKE, N.C. - Authorities have confirmed that a missing 13-year-old boy who fell off a boat on Mountain Island Lake Sunday afternoon has been found dead.
Officials gathered around 3:30 p.m. at Latta Plantation on Sample Road.
The boy fell off the boat while it was anchored and officials said he was not wearing a life jacket at the time. Four adults and four children were on board at the time, police said the following day.
The children were playing on and around a large floating pad in the water which was tied off to the boat.
The Huntersville Fire Department requested assistance from the Charlotte, Long Creek and Cook fire departments to search for the boy.
Rescue crews, a helicopter and dive team searched the lake and the shore for the teen, whose body was pulled from the water two hours after falling overboard.
No foul play is expected.
The body was sent to the coroner’s office to determine the cause of death.
No further information has been released.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man walking dogs struck, killed by car during hit-and-run in Kannapolis
- Former Catawba Co. sheriff candidate accused of stalking ex pleads guilty
- Missing teen who fell off boat on Mountain Island Lake found dead
- Woman shot to death inside southwest Charlotte hotel; Sunday's 3rd homicide
- FORECAST: Carolina Wedge sees temps tumble before heat returns
© 2019 Cox Media Group.