CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A deadly overnight crash shut down a busy north Charlotte road for hours.
Officers responded around 2:30 a.m. to a wreck on Gibbon Road, near Old Statesville Road.
Police told Channel 9 that a 2006 Chevrolet van ran off the roadway and collided with a tree. The driver, 48-year-old Andrew Durgan III, died at the scene.
There was nobody else in the van.
Police do not think speed or alcohol played a role in the crash. They told Channel 9 that Durgan was not wearing a seatbelt.
Gibbon Road is a very busy road connecting Old Statesville Road with West Sugar Creek.
The crash remains under investigation.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- SBI identifies man shot, killed by police after tri-county chase, shootout
- Food Lion VP to face judge Friday for first time following sex sting arrest
- Police identify driver killed after van crashes into woods
- VIDEO: Keith Monday's weekend forecast outlook
- WATCH: Students escape unharmed before school bus goes up in flames
© 2018 Cox Media Group.