Gas leak forces City Hall, businesses to evacuate in downtown Claremont

CLAREMONT, N.C. — City Hall and businesses along Main Street in Claremont were forced to evacuate Thursday afternoon because of a gas leak.

Officials said a contractor hit a gas line, causing the leak.

The city’s fire department shut down Main Street from North Lookout Street to North Oxford Street to evaluate the leak. City Hall was also being closed and evacuated.

The City of Claremont recommended businesses along that stretch of Main Street also evacuate, in a statement on Facebook.

This recommendation is in effect until midnight.

According to an update on City of Claremont’s Facebook, this was a unique break in the gas line that required a team from Georgia to come in and shut off the gas in order to make repairs.