YORK COUNTY, S.C. - The volunteer chief at the Indian Land Fire Department was arrested Friday in a prostitution sting at a motel near Carowinds, according to authorities.
Thomas Wayne Pickard, 52, was charged with first-offense prostitution and is in the York County jail.
Pickard was one of eight people caught up in the York County Sheriff's Department prostitution sting.
"I believe whatever is going on is in his personal life,” said Indian Land resident Hope Williams.
Investigators say Pickard was led to a room by an undercover officer and he agreed to pay money for sex.
Investigators say not only were they going after potential clients, they also had undercover officers going after women who were advertising their services online.
Pickard is also a full-time lieutenant with Lancaster County Fire Rescue. He has been with the department since 1996 and has been chief for two years.
He has been placed on administrative leave without pay until a personnel investigation is conducted.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Driver struck, killed after getting out of crashed vehicle on I-485
- Police officer demoted after surrendering retired K-9 to shelter
- North Carolina teacher dies during school fire drill
- WATCH: Meteorologist Jaclyn Shearer's Saturday forecast outlook
- Man points gun at employees while trying to shoplift from Macy’s at Northlake Mall
© 2019 Cox Media Group.