ROCK HILL, S.C. - Multiple lanes of Interstate 77 were shut down Tuesday in Rock Hill after one person was killed in a multi-vehicle crash, officials said.
Officials said the driver of a dump truck died in the collision in the southbound lanes of I-77 between exits 82 and 79 just before 10:45 a.m.
Officials identified the driver of the dump truck as Dave Beverlin, 71, of Fort Mill.
Investigators said the driver of a tractor-trailer slowed down to pull into the median and a Jeep traveling behind the big rig also slowed down.
They said that's when Beverlin hit the two vehicles, ran off the road and crashed into some trees.
Traffic in the right two lanes of the interstate was blocked for more than an hour after the crash.
The South Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating the accident.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'An exciting next phase': Charlotte-based Bojangles' to be sold
- VOTER GUIDE: Everything you need to know about voting in the Carolinas
- Man shot, killed inside Huntersville Walmart; suspect in custody
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- FBI assisting with search for 13-year-old NC girl abducted from mobile home
© 2018 Cox Media Group.