• Police ID teenager shot, killed in fight inside Huntersville Walmart

    By: Liz Foster , Glenn Counts


    HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. - Police have identified the teenager who was shot and killed during a fight inside a Huntersville Walmart Monday night. 

    [PHOTOS: 1 shot, killed inside Huntersville Walmart]

    Police swarmed the store, inside and out, on Bryton Town Center Drive for hours. Huntersville Police Chief Cleveland Spruill told Channel 9 one of his officers was on-duty and in the Walmart parking lot when the shooting happened.

    Officials said the officer immediately entered the store after hearing two to three gun shots and found several individuals involved with the incident. 

    Police said one person was shot in the abdomen and was pronounced dead at the scene. 

    Huntersville police later identified the victim as 19-year-old Jalyn Domonique Craig. 

    "We just heard he got into an altercation with some rapper,” Craig’s friend, Jaden Major, said. “That's what was going around on Instagram."


    An initial investigation revealed the shooting stemmed from a fight inside the store between several individuals. During the fight, shots were fired inside the store. 

    Police said they have identified all people involved in the shooting and four people were taken to the Huntersville Police Department to be interviewed. 

    Major said his friend's death has been difficult to deal with.

    "It hurt me, and it hurt a couple of his friends because they called me crying about it," Major said.

    Officials said police are working with the district attorney's office to determine what if any charges will be filed.  

    “We just heard a bunch of gunshots,” said Walmart employee Christian Diaz.

    Diaz said he rushed to get people out of the store’s back door when gunshots rang out just after 6 p.m.

    [ALSO READ: Walmart has become crime magnet in many North Carolina cities]

    Eyewitness News anchor Liz Foster asked him what was going through his head.

    “Get out,” he said.

    That was Denise Burton’s main focus too. She and her daughter were in the bank at the front of the store at the time.

    “I don’t want to be a sitting duck so as soon as I saw the coast was clear, I just wanted to get my daughter out of there,” Burton said.

    Police blocked every entrance to the store Monday night and checked the IDs of terrified shoppers wanting to go home. They were getting people’s information in case they were a witness.

    Channel 9 crews saw SWAT officers escorting families outside.

    “With everything going on, you just don’t want to be sitting there,” Burton said.

    Statement from Walmart:

    “We are deeply saddened by what has happened.  We are thankful for the quick actions by the Huntersville Police Department that has resulted in an arrest. We are working closely with law enforcement. Since this is an active investigation, we will refer additional questions to them.” 

    This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information. 

    Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:

    Next Up: