CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Law-enforcement officials said the city's extraordinary-event ordinance should stay, and this comes after
Charlotte residents told the council Monday night to make big changes.
Events such as New Year's and Fourth of July, which are centered around Romare Bearden Park, have been designated extraordinary events.
The ordinance, under scrutiny by the city manager, gives police extra power and those officers say it saves lives.
The ordinance has been used increasingly since it was created for the Democratic National convention in 2012 and gives police extra powers, including the ability to search people.
"This ordinance takes it a step further without necessary justification to actually take away folks' constitutional rights and be searched without a warrant," resident Sabastian Feculak said.
Todd Walther with the Fraternal Order of Police wants critics to think hard about getting rid of it.
That's only a good idea "if they can sit down and tell me they know everybody that's coming to these events, and that it's always going to be peaceful," Walther said.
Last year, police found a gun and a loaded magazine in a man's bag outside the Bank of America Stadium before a Carolina Panthers game days after protests and riots broke out uptown after the officer-involved shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.
The game was deemed an extraordinary event and Walther said it's a perfect example of why officers need the ordinance.
"Maybe there's a little inconvenience, but I would give that up for the safety of my family," Walther said.
Residents are at least calling for some accountability behind the ordinance.
"There weren't any reports on how it's been used, what sort of successes they've made," Feculak said.
Feculak spoke to leaders Monday night and feels his voice was heard.
"If we are to limit it, what kind of events are we actually looking at using this for, rather than using it for every big event in Charlotte," Feculak said.
The city manager said his staff is looking at the efficacy of the ordinance, and if it should be changed or removed. He'll make recommendations to city leaders next month.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: 10-year-old hit by car in east Charlotte
- VIDEO: Charlotte pastor, wife expecting twins after losing sons in 2015 crash
- Woman's dog saves her from would-be attacker in broad daylight
- Airline contractor at airport exposes himself to 16-year-old girl, sources say
- Tribute, vigil planned this week for Olympic High basketball player
Cox Media Group




