JACKSONVILLE, N.C. — An autopsy report revealed that a 3-year-old Onslow County girl was wrapped in trash bags and a couch cushion cover before her body was tossed into a creek in November.
The report said that Mariah Woods’ body was inside three plastic garbage bags that were tied up, and those bags were inside a plaid cover to a couch cushion that was zippered closed.
The autopsy report also said there were no obvious injuries on Woods, other than a bruise near her left eye and some scrapes on her face, although there was some bleeding under her scalp.
There was no evidence she had been sexually assaulted.
- Remains positively identified as 3-year-old North Carolina girl, DA says
- $1M bond set for man charged in 3-year-old NC girl's death
- Grand jury indicts NC man in death of 3-year-old Mariah Woods
- Mom's boyfriend faces death penalty in 3-year-old Mariah Woods' death
The man charged with killing Woods, 32-year-old Earl Kimrey, pleaded not guilty to all charges.
The body of Woods was found in a Pender County creek Dec. 2 after being reported missing Nov. 27.
Kimrey was the live-in boyfriend of Mariah's mother. Kristy Woods said she last saw her daughter when she put her to bed the night before she was reported missing.
District Attorney Ernie Lee plans to seek a death sentence if Kimrey is convicted.
Kimrey was charged Dec. 1 with concealment of death, obstruction of justice, burglary, larceny and possession of stolen property. He was charged Jan. 24 with first-degree murder and child abuse inflicting serious bodily injury.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Iredell County deputies crash, one killed
- Republican leaders unanimously select Charlotte as site for RNC in 2020 pending final vote
- Residents asked to shelter in place following massive East Spencer scrapyard fire
- Authorities, in an exchange of gunfire, kill suspect accused of shooting deputy
- Activist group accuses Wells Fargo of investing in companies detaining immigrants
- Action 9: Fiber crews charged $1.5M for damage over the years