BURKE COUNTY, N.C. - A Morganton family of six are thankful they were at a church service Sunday night when a huge tree came crashing down on their home during a tornado warning in Burke County.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest severe weather updates.
The incident in Morganton is just one of many reports of fallen trees caused by this weekend's severe weather.
Meteorologists with the National Weather Service traveled to Burke County to survey the damage left behind by the storm. They told Channel 9 it appears the damage in Burke County was from straight line winds and not from a tornado.
Watch the video above as Channel 9's Dave Faherty speaks with a family thankful they were at church when the storm hit.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police identify man shot, killed in Charlotte's Hidden Valley neighborhood
- Homicide investigation underway in parking lot of east Charlotte apartments
- CMPD to release video of fatal shooting at Charlotte Burger King
- CALM AFTER THE STORM: Sunny, dry skies return for your workweek
- Which Mecklenburg County restaurants didn’t make the grade in March?
© 2019 Cox Media Group.