CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said they have identified two suspects in connection with a shooting in the Ballantyne area Friday night.
The incident happened around 5:50 p.m. at an apartment complex on Kingston Place Drive, which is near the intersection of Ballantyne Commons Parkway and Lancaster Highway, officials said.
Officials said 19-year-old Kyle Lane, 20-year-old Travis Lane and 19-year-old Maxim Aleynikov were in a car in the parking lot of the complex when they were approached by two armed men, 25-year-old John Rayon Butler and 28-year-old Frankie Junior Jennings.
CMPD officials said Butler then allegedly shot Kyle Lane.
After Kyle Lane was shot, officials said, Aleynikov allegedly fought with Butler over his gun.
Butler was shot in his torso during the struggle and Aleynikov received minor injuries to his hand, officials said.
At the same time, police said, Jennings fought with Travis Lane and allegedly shot him in the leg.
Authorities said Jennings also managed to shoot himself in the arm during the altercation.
(Frankie Junior Jennings)
Officials said Kyle and Travis Lane were taken to Carolinas Medical Center-Main and are expected to be OK.
Police said both suspects fled the scene but showed up at nearby hospitals later in the evening to be treated for their wounds -- Butler at CMC and Jennings at Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center.
Police said they have signed warrants on both suspects on charges of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury, assault with a deadly weapon and shooting into an occupied vehicle.
Once Butler and Jennings are released from the hospital, the warrants will be served on them and they will be transferred to the custody of the Mecklenburg County Jail, officials said.
Authorities said a motive for the shooting has not been determined.
Residents in the Richmond Hill neighborhood said violent crimes rarely occur around there.
“What? This is Ballantyne. This sort of thing doesn't happen around here,” resident Kathryn Huff said.
Channel 9 learned that there had been six incidents, including vandalism, larcenies and an assault, within a half-mile radius of the scene.
“It does kind of make you worry and think, in a neighborhood that otherwise you feel pretty safe in,” Huff said.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man confesses to cold case murder on TV, turns in self and accomplices
- Heartbreaking: Man with ALS grieves beside terminally ill 5-year-old granddaughter
- CMPD identifies suspects, victims in Ballantyne shooting
- WATCH: Vicki Graf’s Saturday forecast outlook
- His son tried to kill him, now father tries to halt his execution
© 2019 Cox Media Group.