MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Police said they were investigating after a body was found Monday morning in the water at Myrtle Beach State Park, according to Channel 9 news partner WPDE.
Captain John Harrelson from the Horry County Police Department said the man's body was found in the surf.
Investigators said they believe the victim drowned. An autopsy is scheduled to determine the cause of death.
Police have not identified the man. The coroner told WPDE he can't remember the last time he's investigated a death like this.
"In this situation that occurred, I'd say it's pretty unusual," said Horry County Coroner Robert Edge.
Edge said it could be a drowning, but if so, it's a strange one.
"You know if someone goes out and they get in trouble, they call for help and usually someone is out to hear them," said Edge.
He speculates heart issues or drowning killed the man but hopes to have more answers Tuesday.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- NC mom shares warning after mosquito bite leaves 6-year-old in ICU
- North Carolina parents charged after teen shoots himself
- 1 killed, 2 others injured after gunfire erupts during Concord party
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Monday forecast outlook
- Police identify man who grandmother found dead in north Charlotte home
© 2019 Cox Media Group.