CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department is investigating a homicide after a man was found shot to death in south Charlotte.
Officers were called to Fishers Pond Drive not far from Pineville-Matthews Road Monday morning.
Police said they responded to an assault with a deadly weapon call in the area at 11:26 a.m.
Neighbors described hearing the unfamiliar sound of gunshots in the apartment complex community.
“It’s scary. I did not know what happened,” resident Anna Cepeda said.
Officials said Tryon Jodie Ervin, 22 was shot multiple times. He died at the scene.
Detectives were on the scene canvassing the area and trying to locate any witnesses.
Police said they believe the suspect parked his getaway car along Bevington Ridge Road, which backs up to the Retreat at McAlpine Creek apartment complex.
After the crime, he reportedly ran through some backyards.
Police don’t believe there’s an active threat to the community.
“There is no immediate public threat. As I said, we do have leads we’re following up on,” Maj. Ryan Bulter said.
There have been no arrests.
Check back for updates on this developing story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Chemical linked to thyroid issues detected in water at Lake Norman High School, expert says
- Police identify gunshot victim who showed up at gas station after south Charlotte shooting
- Woman delivering for UPS shocked when homeowner points gun
- FORECAST: Dry, mild weather pattern continues
- Driver charged with DWI after 13 students injured when school bus overturns in Alexander Co
Cox Media Group