CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police are investigating after a person was hurt during a drive-by shooting Monday morning in uptown Charlotte.
The shooting happened around 11:30 a.m. on East 8th Street, near North Davidson Street.
Police said a man pulled up to 8th Street near First Ward Place apartments and opened fire, hitting four houses.
According to officers, the gunman kept shooting as the car he was in drove north on Davidson Street.
Channel 9's Ken Lemon learned a young woman and her child live in one of the homes that was hit, but they weren't there when the gunfire erupted.
Residents said they were outside their homes when the shooting began, forcing them to duck behind banisters and run for cover.
Channel 9 was there as investigators found dozens of shell casings on the ground.
One person was shot in the ankle but is expected to be OK.
Officers said the shooter has not been identified and they need help from witnesses to find him.
Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- New Bern teen's leg amputated after shark attack
- Authorities release footage of suspect in deadly west Charlotte gas station shooting
- North Carolina child on bicycle struck, killed by car
- FORECAST: One more day of mild temps before humidity, storm chances return
- Mooresville police chief placed on administrative leave, officials say
© 2019 Cox Media Group.