CONCORD, N.C. — Police have arrested a man accused in a shooting outside Concord Mills on Sunday afternoon that left one person hurt, authorities said.
Officers responded to the scene around 4 p.m. in the parking lot outside of the AMC Theatres.
Authorities said one person was hurt and was being treated for their injuries at a local hospital.
Police said they arrested Renzo Gabriel Carnevalini Medina and charged him with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury.
According to officers, Medina and the victim got into an argument in the mall parking lot, which led to shots being fired.
Channel 9′s Glenn Counts was at the scene and said he counted six evidence markers, which would typically indicate at least six shots had been fired.
Henry Pharr brought his son to the movies and told Channel 9 it’s a shame the shooting spoiled their afternoon of fun.
“Yeah, it’s disappointing. Just kind of sad that it’s gonna happen. Hope nobody got hurt,” he said. “This should be a place where people get together and have fun.”
Inside, most of the mall seemed to have little awareness that there was a potentially deadly situation that occurred outside.
“Most people acted like nothing even happened. When we heard about it, we started to leave, and people were walking in there with their kids like it’s normal,” shopper Seth Ladigo said.
Sources told Channel 9 that there were off-duty Concord police working security inside the mall at the time. Investigators are reviewing security camera videos to make sure they have everyone involved.
It is the ninth violent case Channel 9 has reported on at the mall.
Aveanna Propst was 13-years-old when she was shot and killed in December 2019 while she was near her mother’s car outside of the mall.
The girl was caught in a crossfire during an argument.
Her mother is suing the mall’s management company, Simon Property Group.
The lawsuit claims that the mall knew about ongoing violence for years and did nothing to protect shoppers.
Crystal Angona drove from Winston-Salem to shop in part because she was worried about mall safety there.
“It’s like anywhere you go. You’re not going to get away from it. It’s happening everywhere, and it is very disheartening,” she said.
Statement from Concord Council Member Terry Crawford:
“Certainly, I am concerned. I believe the Simons organization needs to step it up and take their security measures up a notch. This incident occurred outside the mall making security even more difficult. But the mall property includes the exterior and should be considered. The Concord police chief has been vocal about security upgrades at the mall. I am not sure, at this time, what is within the power of Concord City Council to act on this. But I trust Simons will take it upon themselves to react and develop a plan to increase their security policies.”
Medina has bail set at $125,000.
This is an ongoing investigation.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
(Watch Below: Concord officers who survived shootout open up about night that took life of fellow officer)
©2021 Cox Media Group