GOLDSBORO, N.C. - Officials in Goldsboro, North Carolina are looking for the person who targeted a family with messages of hate and setting a car on fire.
Investigators said it is because the family's 14-year-old daughter, who is white, is dating a black teenager she met at church.
The girl's mother said she is devastated.
"It just makes your heart sink," the girl's mother said.
The girl is visiting family out of state at this time, but police said once she returns, they would like to go through her social media to see if they can figure out who is behind the hate crime.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 5 children among 7 people critically injured in east Charlotte house fire
- Police: Vandals target NC family over daughter's interracial relationship
- 'A Christmas Eve miracle': Cleveland Co. great-grandma wins $10M on scratch-off
- WATCH: Meteorologist Tony Sadiku's Wednesday forecast outlook
- Police identify man shot, killed at same house where kidnapped teen was beaten
© 2019 Cox Media Group.