CHARLESTON, S.C. - Police in South Carolina say a runner was tackled from behind and beaten after smiling and waving at a passing bicyclist.
The Post and Courier reports Charleston police have increased patrols on the West Ashley Greenway since the woman was beaten Monday evening.
Police say the woman smiled and waved at the man, who then screamed and asked what she was looking at.
Police say he tackled her from behind and began punching her, leaving lacerations on her neck, chest and right ear. The man fled and dropped several items from a grocery bag, including a water bottle, spoon and food containers.
Police last year responded to several violent assaults on the Greenway; most of the victims were women.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Major changes coming to southern stretch of I-485
- Director of human resources for Richmond County charged with trafficking opium
- Husband questioned after body believed to be missing NC woman found
- FORECAST: Highs near 70 and dry before wet weather swings in Friday
- CMPD hands out messages to remind families they do not enforce immigration laws
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.