CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is recalling a common heart medicine.
The FDA recalled val-sartan because they believe it may be putting patients at risk for cancer.
The administration said the drug does not meet its safety standards and contains a chemical that is linked to causing cancer.
High amounts of this chemical cam also cause liver damage.
Nearly two dozen other countries have recalled the drug within the last week.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Myrtle Beach named one of the 'most dangerous' cities in the country
- Wells Fargo faces new scandal after overcharging customers
- Sharpshooting officer deemed 'hero' after striking man holding hostages at Harris Teeter
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Saturday forecast outlook
- 6, 600 gallons of untreated wastewater overflows into area of Lyle Creek
© 2019 Cox Media Group.