LILESVILLE, N.C. - A dam on Highway 145 in Lilesville burst Monday, the Anson County sheriff said.
Residents in several homes were ordered to evacuate, emergency management officials told Channel 9.
Emergency management officials evacuated about 12 homes as a precaution. Officials said Tuesday the water levels were safe and residents were able to return.
Evacuees were sent to the Lilesville Fire Department.
The dam is not the Blewett Falls Dam, officials said. It’s part of a sand and gravel company -- BV Hedrick.
This upper dam break will most likely breach another one of the company’s dams, officials said.
Dam inspectors with DEQ were on site even though it’s not a regulated dam.
Highway 145 was shut down from Highway 74 to Haileys Ferry Road.
Return to this story for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: Woman shot while pumping gas, 2 others injured in north Charlotte shooting
- Residents forced to evacuate after dam break in Anson County
- FLORENCE AFTERMATH: Floodwaters of Florence put North Carolina dams under stress
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Tuesday forecast outlook
- North Carolina residents consider fleeing as rivers rise
© 2019 Cox Media Group.