WATAUGA COUNTY, N.C. - Some websites are set up to scam people who are looking for a dog to buy.
Watauga County Sheriff's Office Detetective Matt Rollins showed Channel 9 a case file on the scam involving dogs. Investigators said in a matter of minutes, someone can go online and find the exact dog they want.
People were, however, shocked to find out it was a scam when they went to pick up the pets.
“One website was selling Rottweilers. Another was selling schnauzers,” Rollins said. “They looked very similar, and they did send them to the same address.”
In the video at the top of this webpage, the detective’s warning to people about those bogus websites where customers have lost hundreds of dollars.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'There's no logical answer': Sheriff offers more details in case of teen killed by dad
- 20-year-old gunned down outside uptown is Charlotte's latest homicide victim
- Mom claims pair posing as Child Protection Services workers tried to take son; police investigating
- FORECAST: Heat returns after first day under 90 degrees in weeks
- Family claims CMS didn’t do enough to protect daughter from sex abuse
© 2019 Cox Media Group.