CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A man has been charged with shooting a 20-year-old to death Tuesday afternoon just outside of uptown Charlotte, officials said.
Algia Montaze Clark Jr., 21, has been charged with murder and possession of a firearm by a felon.
Police said A'mari McCaskill was shot around 4:30 p.m. somewhere between the Bojangles and Mobil gas station off West Trade Street, near Johnson C. Smith University.
He was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
McCaskill's slaying is Charlotte's 73rd homicide of the year.
Channel 9 watched as officers roped off the area with crime scene tape, looking for evidence and speaking with witnesses.
"It is a little scary because I could have been here when it happened," motorist Emily Ragan said. "I could have been on the way. You never know what is going to happen."
Detectives have not said what led up to the shooting, and no other information has been released.
Both the Bojangles and Mobil station have surveillance footage and Channel 9 learned that the manager of the gas station provided police with a copy in case anything can be learned from it.
Clark will make his first court appearance Tuesday.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updating on this ongoing investigation.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Domestic dispute leads to deadly shooting in Fort Mill, deputies say
- Man charged with 20-year-old's murder near uptown Charlotte, officials say
- 'Her spirit is going to live on': Loved ones to honor teen reportedly killed by father
- PHOTOS: A peek inside latest development to wrap up in South End
- FORECAST: Cold front and clouds linger throughout weekend
© 2019 Cox Media Group.