POLKTON, N.C. - A sergeant at Lanesboro Correctional Institution in Anson County is facing charges for allegedly attempting to bring drugs into the prison, officials said.
The Polkton Police Department charged Sgt. Casonja Crowder, 34, with felony conspiracy to deliver marijuana and suboxone to an inmate and felony possession of marijuana and suboxone.
"The department appreciates the local law enforcement collaboration in making this arrest for these very serious charges," Kenneth Lassiter, director of Prisons stated. "I want to commend our special operations team and management at the facility for taking action and preventing these drugs from entering the facility. We want it known that we will work with the District Attorney's Office to help ensure any staff suspected of bringing contraband into a prison will be prosecuted."
Crowder resigned immediately. She was with the department since 2015.
The investigation is ongoing.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Manager at Pineville Staples fired after accusing pregnant woman of shoplifting
- Man accused of hiding body on mountainside was wearing ankle monitor, police say
- NC mom shares warning after mosquito bite leaves 6-year-old in ICU
- North Carolina parents charged after teen shoots himself
- 1 killed, 2 others injured after gunfire erupts during Concord party
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Monday forecast outlook
© 2019 Cox Media Group.