CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Officials said that an accidental electrical fire destroyed a home in south Charlotte overnight.
When firefighters arrived at the home on Whitethorn Drive, near Providence Road, around 1:15 a.m., the entire roof was on fire.
A man living inside was able to escape, and a firefighter battling the flames fell through the floor.
Paramedics checked him out on the scene and told Channel 9 that he was OK.
Investigators said the fire likely started on the second floor.
The home suffered roughly $375,000 in damages, according to the fire department.
Channel 9 spoke with the homeowner, who said he had lived in the house since the 1970s.
"It's a shame,” said Gordon Alan. “It's been there since 1977. You just hate to see it go because you have a lot of memories in there."
Alan said he will be staying with a neighbor for the time being.
Ivy and Abby Allabastro said their grandmother and grandfather lived in the home for decades.
Abby and her sister live here with their grandfather, but weren't home when the fire happened.
After losing their grandmother earlier this month, they were relieved to know he made it out before the fire took over.
Firefighters salvaged their grandmother's ashes and several framed pictures.
The family still has to dig through the rubble in hopes they can find their great grandfather's World War 2 photos.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 6 hurt after explosion, 4-alarm fire at north Charlotte trucking company
- Man escapes as house goes up in flames in south Charlotte
- Police: Intoxicated driver hits, kills bike shop owner in Mooresville
- Troopers investigating deadly crash in Rowan County
- Belmont councilman doesn't want Whitewater Center water in the Catawba River