CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police said a student was taken into custody Tuesday after a gun was found at East Mecklenburg High School.
Demondrez Tucker, 19, is charged with having a gun on educational property, possession of a stolen firearm and carrying a concealed weapon.
Police said school administration was notified about noon that a student may have a gun on the campus along Monroe Road. They said officers found Tucker with a stolen gun.
Officials said the school was not placed on lockdown and there were no threats made to students or staff.
The principal released the below message to families:
Good afternoon East Meck families. This is Principal Rick Parker. Today at school, we received a tip that there was a student on our campus with a gun. Law enforcement was immediately notified and investigated the tip with school administration. A student was searched without incident and a gun was located. Any student caught violating the Code of Student Conduct will receive appropriate disciplinary action. I ask that every parent and guardian have a conversation with your student about the importance of making sure they never have a weapon at school. If a student is aware of a weapon on our campus or any school campus, I ask that they tell a school employee immediately so an investigation can be completed. I appreciate your support of our school and our students.
This is just the latest weapon to be found at a Charlotte-Mecklenburg school.
Police said three teenagers were arrested in connection to a social media threat at Olympic High School Tuesday. Officers said they determined a gun had been on that campus at some point.
Officers said a 13-year-old student was also found with a pocket Taser at Eastway Middle School Tuesday. They said no one was hurt or threatened. The eighth-grader is charged with possession of a weapon on school grounds.
On Oct. 29, a student was shot and killed by a classmate in a hallway at Butler High School. In the days following the deadly shooting, officers found guns at Garinger and Hopewell high schools.
- Slain Butler HS student's father: 'My son lost his life over foolishness'
- Police say bullying did not lead to Butler HS shooting, despite earlier reports
- Arrest affidavit details possible motive in deadly Butler High School shooting
- Good Samaritan takes school shooting victim's mother to hospital
- Parents march to school to get children after deadly shooting
- Students, parents recall emotional moments following school shooting
- Leaders discuss safety after deadly shooting at Matthews high school
- 'I love you, Bobby': Loved ones gather to say final goodbyes to slain Butler HS student
The district said it’s considering new safety measures after those incidents.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Social media threat forces lockdown at Olympic High School, officials say
- Emergency crews pull school bus from Cabarrus County floodwaters
- 'More urgent by the minute': Reward in case of kidnapped teen rises to $20K
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Pilot in critical condition after small plane crashes in Myrtle Beach surf
© 2019 Cox Media Group.