SHELBY, N.C. - A family had to escape out a window after a teen set their home on fire in Shelby Friday morning, police said.
Investigators said 18-year-old Zanden Cox was targeting a different home and hit this family's house by mistake.
Authorities said they believe Cox was upset over a girl and began targeting the home a couple of weeks ago by allegedly leaving notes and, at one point, flattening a tire.
Channel 9 was told the victims left notes saying the girl didn’t live there, but the home was still set on fire.
As a result of all this, the judge raised Cox’s bail to $1 million from $250,000.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Coroner: Two teens among three killed in York County head-on crash
- Gilroy Garlic Festival shooting: 3 killed, 15 hurt when gunman opens fire; 1 suspect dead
- Troopers: Five people seriously injured in head-on collision on Gaston Co. road
- FORECAST: Warm temps, humidity intensify across our area
- Emergency crews investigating large fire at recycle center in Huntersville
© 2019 Cox Media Group.