GASTONIA, N.C. - North Carolina state troopers are investigating after five people were seriously injured in a head-on collision in Gastonia Sunday afternoon.
The crash happened just before 3 p.m. on Union Road near Dawnwood Road, near the Gastonia Airport.
Officials said a car crossed the center line and hit the other car with a family of four inside.
The Union Road Fire Department said five people were taken to the hospital; two were transported by MedCenter Air.
Neighbors told Channel 9 it is not uncommon to see crashes on this stretch of road.
"Once you pass the fire department down there, there is a series of curves and that's usually where the bad wrecks are happening, the head-on collisions and whatnot," neighbor Mike Dale said.
The road was closed for several hours while crews investigated the crash, but did reopen around 5 p.m.
No other information has been released.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com
- Three people dead after car crash in York County, troopers say
- FBI-wanted 'Pink Lady Bandit' robs bank in Hamlet, officials say
- 'You are not alone': Woman spreads message of hope after SWAT situation ends in tragedy
- CMPD: Repeat offender charged in attempted robbery of Epicenter Insomnia Cookies
- FORECAST: Warm temps, atypical low July humidity continues Sunday
© 2019 Cox Media Group.