CHARLOTTE, N.C. - New court documents are providing further insight into the mass shooting at the University of North Carolina Charlotte on April 30.
The warrants for the shooter’s arrest indicate that the first officer on scene thought the accused shooter may be one of the victims.
When the officer asked the alleged shooter if he had been hit, he told the officer he had been tackled and was lying on the ground.
Warrants state he later admitted to being the shooter and the officer found a gun nearby,
UNC CHARLOTTE TRAGEDY FULL COVERAGE:
- NC high schools sell bracelets to raise money for 'Riley Howell Foundation'
- 'My superhero doesn't wear a cape': Riley Howell's loved ones say final goodbye
- Riley Howell's family reflects on impact UNCC student had on others
- Hundreds line streets as heroic UNCC students's body escorted home
- 'I want that to be his legacy': Heroic UNCC student tackled gunman
- UNCC alum, NFL player Larry Ogunjobi finds new hero in Riley Howell
- Slain UNCC student first citizen to receive CMPD Medal of Valor
- Classroom where gunman opened fire at UNCC will not be used next school year
- UNCC shooting survivor returns home from hospital
- Second student lauded for lifesaving actions during UNCC shooting
The warrant also reveals the accused shooter told police he used his cell phone to record video of his actions.
The shooting caused the deaths of two UNC Charlotte students, Riley Howell and Reed Parlier. Four other students were wounded.
On Thursday, UNCC leaders said the classroom where the shooting happened will stay closed through next school year.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Deputies: Man wanted for domestic violence against woman found dead at vacant home
- Mother leaves toddler in hot car outside Northlake Mall, officials say
- FORECAST: Scattered showers as heat wave ends ahead of pleasant weekend
- Troopers: Man killed when Mustang crashes, flips in Gaston County
- Charged with child sex crimes, new SC mayor immediately suspended
© 2019 Cox Media Group.