CLOVER, S.C. - A man was taken into custody after a York County SWAT team swarmed a home Tuesday morning in Clover, officials said.
Officials told Channel 9's South Carolina Bureau reporter Greg Suskin that a man was barricaded inside a home on Walnut Street off Main Street.
Trent Faris, with the York County Sheriff's Office, said the situation started around 2 a.m. when officers were called after the suspect allegedly assaulted his girlfriend and stole a car.
Officers spotted the vehicle on Walnut Street but the man went inside a home and refused to come out, telling police he had a rifle.
The SWAT team and negotiators were called and the suspect eventually surrendered peacefully around 7:30 a.m.
Faris said nobody else was in the house and nobody was hurt.
Some neighbors had to be evacuated from their homes temporarily while negotiators worked to get the man to surrender, Faris said.
Further charges will be pending.
Deputies had Walnut Street blocked at Hampshire Lane during the incident.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man surrenders, taken into custody after SWAT standoff in Clover
- Funeral arrangements announced for beloved Mooresville police officer
- Problems foam over at inaugural Untappd Beer Fest at BofA Stadium
- FORECAST: Another picture perfect day before humid air, rain return
- 2 men accused of being drunk, assaulting people at Charlotte airport
© 2019 Cox Media Group.