MARION, N.C. — Sheriff's investigators in North Carolina have charged two parents with involuntary manslaughter after a teenager in their home accidentally shot himself and died.
The McDowell County Sheriff's Office told news outlets 50-year-old Kimberly Cable and 46-year-old Roger Dale Cable are also charged with failure to store a firearm to protect a minor.
Investigators said 16-year-old Kyle Storm Lee was visiting the couple's son and playing around with a .44-caliber revolver on Friday when he shot himself in the head.
Detective Paul Alkire said there was a number of guns in the house to which the teenagers had access.
The Cables are free on $17,000 bond apiece. It's not known if they have attorneys.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police conducting homicide investigation after 3 shot, 1 fatally in Concord
- Pregnant woman embarrassed she was questioned about shoplifting at Pineville Staples
- Charlotte basketball player killed while riding bicycle in north Charlotte
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Sunday forecast outlook
- Steelers fan in full uniform sneaks onto practice field to challenge Antonio Brown