DURHAM, N.C. - A judge says a Texas man's affair with a North Carolina man's wife should cost him nearly $9 million.
The Herald-Sun of Durham reports that Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson awarded Keith King $8.8 million in compensatory and punitive damages Thursday from Francisco Huizar III.
King had sued Huizar for, among other complaints, criminal conversation and alienation of affection. North Carolina is one of a few states where jilted spouses can sue affair partners.
Attorney Joanne Foil says the affair and an alleged assault by Huizar cost King's company, BMX Stunt Shows, revenue and an employee, as his wife worked for the company. Huizar's attorney, Cheri Patrick, says the Kings' marriage was damaged before Huizar met the wife at a BMX show. Patrick says King was controlling and manipulative.
Huizar plans to appeal.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- North Carolina man awarded $8.8M from wife's boyfriend after affair
- Family grieves after Concord father drowns at Sunset Beach
- Slaying at scenic NC mountain inn rattles seasonal workers
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Weekend Forecast Outlook
- I-77 in north Charlotte reopened overnight after shooting investigation
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.