MURPHY, N.C. - A North Carolina man is accused of stabbing a state trooper in the shoulder following vehicular and foot chases.
Channel 9's partners at The Gaston Gazette reported the state Department of Safety said in a release that troopers responding a report of reckless driving Monday night attempted to pull over a car driven by 34-year-old Marcus Pack Moreno.
The car didn't stop, and eventually swerved into one of the patrol cars before backing into another. The statement says Moreno then fled on foot, and troopers gave chase. Authorities say he stabbed one of the troopers as they tried to arrest him.
The trooper's injuries were not life-threatening.
Moreno is charged with attempted murder and other counts. It's unclear whether he has a lawyer.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Gov. Cooper orders flags to fly at half-staff to honor slain NC state trooper
- Grandmother fighting for children months after daughter was shot, killed
- Man accused in Pineville homicide shows up at hospital with gunshot wound
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Thursday forecast outlook
- USDA cites Lazy 5 Ranch in Mooresville with dozens of animal welfare violations
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.