RED SPRINGS, N.C. - A 5-year-old North Carolina boy has been killed by crossfire between people fighting near state Highway 72.
Robeson County Sheriff Burnis Wilkins said Alva Paisley Oxendine was wounded Wednesday night near Red Springs and pronounced dead at a hospital hours later.
The sheriff said in a statement that Alva was sitting in the back seat of his mother's car when he was shot. Alva's brother was also in the back seat but wasn't wounded.
Wilkins said a planned fight between two groups led to the shooting. The Robesonian reports a recording of the fight was posted online.
According to deputies, the two groups had fought earlier during the day and agreed to meet at the Highway 72 location to fight a second time.
The sheriff's office is investigating.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Sheriff: Store wouldn't let deputy wearing gun pick up engagement ring
- 'I have to sit here and bury my son': 16-year-old killed after shots fired into home
- Thief caught on camera stealing tip jar from Gastonia restaurant
- FORECAST: Not much rain expected before storms usher in weekend
- Teen accused of killing college baseball player in 2017 again rejects plea deal
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.