HAMPTON, S.C. - A 37-year-old man in South Carolina will spend the rest of his life in prison for impregnating a 10-year-old.
Prosecutors said Tony Orlanda Singleton was found guilty Wednesday of first-degree criminal sexual assault.
Authorities say they took DNA evidence from the fetus after the girl had an abortion and it proved Singleton was the father.
The 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office said in a news release that Singleton came into a room while she was watching cartoons in a home in Estill in April 2016, turned off the lights and raped her.
Prosecutors said jurors deliberated less than an hour Wednesday before finding Singleton guilty. Circuit Judge Carmen Mullen then handed down the life sentence without parole.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Court OKs Stanly County traffic stop after middle-finger to trooper
- Two charged after teen with special needs dies in hot car on SC highway
- 5-year-old SC girl believed to be dead after mother's body found, police say
- FORECAST: Isolated storms possible this afternoon, evening
- Shark feeding frenzy caught on camera off Myrtle Beach coast
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.