GREENVILLE, S.C. - Authorities in South Carolina say a child was hospitalized after being accidentally shot by her 12-year-old sibling.
The child was expected to be released from the hospital following the Friday afternoon shooting. The children's 31-year-old mother is facing criminal charges.
Sgt. Ryan Flood with the Greenville County Sheriff's Office told the Greenville News that the woman faces three counts of unlawful neglect of a child. Flood says "investigators learned she left three children, ranging from 6 to 12 years of age, alone overnight and throughout the day."
The shooting of the 10-year-old girl was ruled accidental.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 16-year-old boy reported missing from Fort Mill home
- CMPD: Series of home invasions in east Charlotte may be connected
- Deputies: Man with restraining order breaks into woman's Gastonia home, sexually assaults her
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Monday forecast outlook
- South Carolina pastor arrested on suspicion of choking pregnant woman
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.