UPDATE: Annual Fourth Ward holiday tour cancels, organizers cite COVID-19

UPDATE: Annual Fourth Ward holiday tour cancels, organizers cite COVID-19
For the first time in the 43 year history of Fourth Ward Holiday Home Tours, the event has been canceled. (Courtesy Friends of Fourth Ward)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The annual holiday tour in Charlotte’s historic Fourth Ward neighborhood had already shifted to an outdoor-only event, but on Friday organizers announced that for the first time in the 43 year history of the tours, the event has been canceled.

“It breaks my heart, but it is definitely the right call,” said Miller Winecoff, a longtime Fourth Ward resident as well as current Friends of Fourth Ward president and chair of the Tour Committee.

Content Continues Below

“The health of our patrons, neighbors, sponsors, entertainers, and everyone else involved in the event is of paramount importance to the Friends of Fourth Ward,” he added.

Winecoff said board members and event organizers were in daily contact with county and state health officials and were closely monitoring COVID-19 infection rate data.

“We monitored all protocol requirements through the state’s various shutdown phases. The modified tour planning began in earnest during a downturn in infection rates. But that picture has changed drastically,” he said.

For more than 40 years, Fourth Ward has treated ticket holders to a glimpse inside many of the picturesque Victorian houses the neighborhood has become known for.

This year, the self-guided “Sip & Stroll” tour was scheduled to take place Dec. 3-5 and would have included seasonal music, carriage rides and food and drink tastings.

Christmas with a twist Changes to expect this holiday