Community

Charlotte students collect hundreds of coats for Steve’s Coats for Kids

“Everyone will go through a struggle, and it’s ok to ask for help.” Jada Huff said. Huff is an eighth-grade student at Piedmont Middle School. Huff and her two classmates are collecting new and gently used coats to donate to Steve’s Coats for Kids.

“We’re reaching people in poverty. People our age may not think it’s cool to help, but we’re sending a message that it’s good to give back,” fellow student Kayla Myers said. “We want to spread the word and get more people motivated to do what we’re doing. Get the whole community to help.”

WSOC-TV's Steve's Coats for Kids collects coats for local area children who live in need, and the coats are distributed by Crisis Assistance Ministry. In the last 15 years, Steve's Coats for Kids has collected over 200,000 coats. This is the second year Piedmont Middle School has collected coats for Steve's Coats for Kids, and last year the school collected over a thousand coats.

“Growing up my mom wasn’t always able to buy all we needed. Now I can help others who were in the situation I was in and give them a chance to get out of it.” Huff said.

The third member of the team is Nina Hall. “We can affect people in poverty because after the coats are donated, they are given to people in poverty for free.” Hall said.

The student’s collection is part of Piedmont Middle School’s community service project. However, for these three, this project is a labor for all the right reasons. “These coats are going to go to kids our age. Poverty affects kids our age and our generation.” Myers said. “When I can do something to help the generation coming up, I want to help them.”

“I just want everyone to know we should be there for other people,” Hall said. “If you can donate one coat, it can help.”

You can donate new or gently used coats at any area Showmars, Ashley HomeStore or E.R. Plumbing Services.

Click here to find how you can help at www.StevesCoatsForKids.com

If you have an inspiring story and you or your group is collecting coats for Steve’s Coats for Kids, please contact WSOC-TV Community Affairs Manager Kevin Campbell at kevin.campbell@wsoctv.com