CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The group, YouMail, said robocallers made 23 million calls to the 704 area code last month. The group says that's 13.9 calls per person.
"It happens often. Too often," Antwan Walker, who gets robocalls, said.
The Action 9 team compiled a list of robocallers that included:
- An automated system for substitute teachers
- Time Warner Cable
- Debt collection agency, Spartan
- Agency that runs the Affordable Care Act health insurance exchanges, Healthcare.gov
- Lending agency Santander
Only Time Warner Cable responded to Action 9's questions.
"The vast majority of these calls are made to confirm scheduled appointments and to notify customers that a technician is en route to their home," TWC officials said.
Action 9 also checked 803 and 980 area codes.
They had 24.3 million robocalls last month, according to YouMail.
"YouMail also produces WhoAreYou, a caller ID and call blocking app on Android, and publishes the YouMail Robocall Index, which tracks the volume and extent of robocalls in the United States," according to YouMail’s website.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Woman, great-granddaughter vanish on Christmas Eve trip to NC
- Is it OK to leave children alone in a car? Facebook post sparks debate
- Several shots fired into east Charlotte home, police say
- Actor, comedian Ricky Harris dead at 54
- Community rallies to find missing Lancaster man
Cox Media Group