HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. - Police in Huntersville responded to the scene of a crash overnight near Darblay Road where they found a tree lying in the roadway.
When officers followed a trail of car debris and engine fluids to a nearby home on Henderson Park Road, they found a car that had been in a wreck -- as well as a driver.
Authorities have not said what led to the crash, or if the driver faces any charges.
Huntersville emergency crews were also called to another overnight crash scene, this one on Birkdale Commons Parkway around 2:30 a.m.
Police said the driver of a truck drove up on the sidewalk in front of Ben and Jerry's and took out two power poles before striking a tree.
The driver, who was charged with DWI, is OK but there was a lot of damage to the sidewalk.
Police have not released that driver's name.
Be sure to download the WSOC-TV Wake Up app to get the latest breaking news, weather and traffic on your phone first thing in the mornings.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- NC lottery to no longer contribute to teacher salaries
- Charlotte pizzeria's bathroom sign garners national attention
- Huntersville police investigating DWI crash in Birkdale Village
- Troopers: One killed in overnight crash in Rowan Co.
- FORECAST: Brief warming trend before rain, cold air arrives
- In GOP response to Obama, Nikki Haley defends immigrants