CHARLOTTE, N.C. - One person was killed and another seriously injured after a car crashed into a tree Sunday in north Charlotte.
Police were called to the scene just before 6 p.m. and said a black Ford Mustang Cobra ran off the road and hit a ditch and a tree on Mallard Creek Road near Galloway Road.
The victim, Brandon Bowen, was ejected from the car and pronounced dead at the scene. Another victim was airlifted to the hospital with serious injuries, police said.
Channel 9 saw tire marks on the ground and crime scene tape around the wreckage.
Mallard Creek Road near Galloway Road was closed for hours but has reopened.
(WEB EXTRA: An area resident witnessed a deadly crash on Mallard Creek Road)
“It is very busy,” area resident Marayman Mihiar said. “During the week, it's very busy. Actually traffic is backed up all the way into the cross section right here at Mallard Creek and Prosperity Church Road.”
Neighbors also expressed speeding concerns along the road.
Investigators are still trying to figure out what caused the crash but did say that speed was a factor.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man shot outside Midnight Diner in South End, driven to hospital in Maserati
- Body of 68-year-old man believed kidnapped during manhunt found
- CMPD identifies man killed after Ford Mustang Cobra slams into tree
- WATCH: Vicki Graf's Monday forecast outlook
- Gov. Cooper to visit site of utility damage on the Outer Banks
- Grandma of Salisbury shooting victim: 'Feels like they're marking my family'
© 2019 Cox Media Group.